Aspergillus/Penicillium

learn about

Aspergillus/
Penicillium

These are two of the most common genera in the world. They can be found everywhere in nature, both indoors and outdoors. Indoors they can be found on water damaged wallpaper, carpet, and other organic materials. They can also grow well in conditions of high humidity. Many species are allergens and a common cause of respiratory irritation. Some species are human and animal pathogens and can cause infection. Some Penicillium species are can produce microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) and toxins that can be harmful, especially from long-term exposure.

Free Downloadable FAQ Sheets:

Frequently Asked Questions

When cleaning mold, it’s important to avoid exposure to mold spores and mycotoxins. This is why many homeowners opt to hire professionals for safe mold removal. However, if you choose to tackle the mold removal yourself, you must use proper safety equipment and follow established procedures for containment, remediation, and waste disposal. The EPA has guidelines on mold removal.

Your immune system’s response can cause symptoms like itchiness and watery eyes, sneezing, nasal congestion, and an itchy nose, mouth, and lips, or a runny nose. In cases of severe allergies, these symptoms may intensify and lead to anaphylactic shock.

Yes, these molds can also affect pets, causing respiratory problems and allergic reactions similar to those seen in humans. 

To prevent mold growth, maintain low humidity levels (ideally between 30-50%), fix leaks promptly, ensure proper ventilation, and clean and dry any water-damaged areas within 24-48 hours.